- Happy New Year! 2010 has been a great year at Canons Farm & Banstead Woods and we hope that 2011 will throw up even more surprises! Thanks to all who have contributed to or visited this wiki.
- 8.00am-3.45pm: 2 GREYLAGS flew NE then south, REED BUNTING flew north then back south, 6+ Bramblings, 180+ Fieldfares, 140+ Redwings, 200+ Chaffinches, 50+ Starlings, 14 Meadow Pipits, 2 Yellowhammers, 20+ Skylarks, 2 Rooks, c.40 Linnets, Grey Heron in Big Field, several Goldfinches and Greenfinches, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, 2+ Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Green Woodpecker, 10+ Pied Wagtails, 2+ Bullfinches, 1+ Redpoll, 3 Goldcrests, 19 Stock Doves (1 singing), Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, 11 Rose-ringed Parakeets, 1+ Mistle Thrush (singing), 2+ ad.Lesser Black-backed Gulls, many Common Gulls & Black-headed Gulls (DKC).
- 8.30am-3.27pm: 47+ Skylarks flew over, 5+ Yellowhammers, 3 Mistle Thrushes, 8 Rooks, Pied Wagtail, Green Woodpecker, 3+ Rose-ringed Parakeets, Sparrowhawk, fem.Kestrel, 1+ Fieldfare, 1+ Redwing, 5 Pheasants, 4 Nuthatches, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 5 Stock Doves, 19+ Redpolls, 1+ Bullfinch, Goldcrest, ; ad.Lesser Black-backed Gull, c.30 Common Gulls, Herring Gull and c.70 Black-headed Gulls in fields (DKC/MS).
- 8.25am-2.59pm: 7 Meadow Pipits flew west, 3 Mallards over, 1+ Siskin, Yellowhammer, fem.Kestrel, Pied Wagtail, c.30 Common Gulls, 19+ Fieldfares, 1+ Rose-ringed Parakeet, 15+ Redwings, 4 Skylarks, 6+ Nuthatches, Green Woodpecker, 2+ Coal Tits, 5 Goldcrests, 4 Bullfinches (2 Tawny Wood, 2 The Scrub), Great Spotted Woodpecker (DKC/IJ).
- 8.29am-3.12pm: 13+ Northern Lapwings (3 on Quail Field at 3.10pm, 10+ flew SE over Banstead Woods at 1.17pm), 2 Yellowhammers, Linnet, 7 Fieldfares, 10+ Redwings, 12 Goldcrests, 3 Coal Tits, 5+ Redpolls, Nuthatch, 2+ Bullfinches, 3 Treecreepers, 2+ Rose-ringed Parakeets, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pied Wagtail (DKC).
- 8.24am-4.25am: adult GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL flew north over The Scrub at 3.11pm, Skylark, Stock Dove, c.40 Fieldfares, 5+ Redwings, 2+ Lesser Redpolls, Coal Tit, 3 Treecreepers 7 Goldcrests, 8 Nuthatches, 2+ Bullfinches, 4+ Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 3 Green Woodpeckers (DKC/IJ).
- Red Kite flew east at 9.55am (AS).
- In Banstead Woods: Lesser Spotted Woodpecker near car park, possible Firecrest with 4+ Goldcrests, 2 Treecreepers, 3 Nuthatches. 12+ Long-tailed Tits, 8 Redwings, 20+ Fieldfares (MS).
- 8.24am-4.50pm: probable Great Black-backed Gull over The Scrub late afternoon, probable Firecrest at north end of The Scrub late afternoon, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker near pond in Banstead Woods, Northern Lapwing west over Canons Farm at 1.24pm, Little Owl hunting by Canons Farmhouse at dusk, 2 Siskins, 75 Fieldfares, 7 Redwings, 16+ Lesser Redpolls, 4+ Bullfinches (1 at Canons Farmhouse, rest at The Scrub), Treecreeper, Coal Tit, 3 Stock Doves, 6 Nuthatches, 2+ Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Green Woodpecker (RDW/DKC/MS).
- Merry Christmas to all!
- 11.30am-2.46pm: c.70 Redpolls, 4+ Bullfinches, 8 Nuthatches, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, 4+ Goldcrests, 2+ Redwings (DKC).
- morning in Banstead Woods: 120+ Redpolls, 6 Bullfinches, Treecreeper, 3 Nuthatches (PGo).
- c.8.30am-1.55am: Siskin, 2 Stock Doves, 2 Mistle Thrushes, 6 Fieldfares, 3 ad.Lesser Black-backed Gulls over, Bullfinch, 3 Treecreepers, 4 Coal Tits, 2 Nuthatches, 6 Goldcrests, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Green Woodpecker (DKC/IJ).
- several Lesser Redpolls and Goldcrest in Banstead Woods (JH).
- 8.16am-2.33pm: 6 CURLEW flew low east at 9.05am, WAXWING in dead tree just east of Canons Wood 8.45am-8.50am then flew NE (veering more and more east), 20 Northern Lapwings flew over, 230+ Fieldfares mainly flying SE, c.9 Bullfinches, 1+ Siskin, 30+ Lesser Redpolls, 1+ Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Skylark, c.5 Redwings, Goldcrest, 2 Nuthatches, Coal Tit, Green Woodpecker, 1+ Great Spotted Woodpecker, c.5 Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC).
- 8.20am-3.19pm: 1+ MEALY REDPOLL with c.150 Lesser Redpolls and 1+ Siskin in Banstead Woods at TQ 262 579. Also c.30 Redwings, Pied Wagtail, 2+ Fieldfares, 2+ Bullfinches, 3 Treecreepers, 4 Nuthatches, 5 Goldcrests, 2 Green Woodpeckers, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Kestrel, c.5 Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC).
- 8.17am-3.37pm: 10 Siskins, Little Owl, 1+ Skylark, 7+ Bullfinches, 3+ Lesser Redpolls, 3 Goldcrests, 3 Treecreepers, c.5 Nuthatches, Sparrowhawk, 5+ Redwings, Fieldfare, 2+ Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 2+ Green Woodpeckers, c.5 Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC/RDW/IJ).
- 2.00pm-4.00pm: Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, 10 Long-tailed Tits (AH).
- 8.35am-3.45pm: 1+ MEALY REDPOLL, 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers (both Banstead Woods: 1 at west side, 1 by car park), 8 Northern Lapwings flew south at 11.02am, c.15 Siskins, c.40 Lesser Redpolls, Common Buzzard, 1+ Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 1+ Skylark, 6 Fieldfares, 4+ Redwings, c.5 Bullfinches, Coal Tit, Treecreeper, 3 Goldcrests, 6 Nuthatches, 1+ Great Spotted Woodpecker, 1+ Green Woodpecker, c.20 Long-tailed Tits (MS/PW/DKC).
- 8.28am-2.27pm: MEALY REDPOLL at Lunch Wood with c.170 Lesser Redpolls briefly early afternoon (DKC). Also 5 Northern Lapwings flew west at 10.28am, 20+ Skylarks, 4+ Bullfinches, 2 Kestrels, c.10 Fieldfares, c.10 Redwings, 2 Treecreepers, 2 Coal Tits, 4 Goldcrests, 7 Nuthatches, 2+ Great Spotted Woodpeckers (1 drumming), 2+ Green Woodpeckers (RDW/IJ/DKC).
- GREY WAGTAIL on pond in Canons Lane garden (resident)
- 10 Skylarks flew south, 25 Goldfinches (SG).
- Banstead Woods only: Great Spotted Woodpecker, 15 Jackdaws, 2 Jays, Blackbird, 7 Magpies, 2 Carrion Crows, 5 Woodpigeons (MH).
- 8.20am-2.02pm: 9 Bullfinches, Lesser Redpoll, 9 Skylarks, Kestrel, 4 Fieldfares, 4 Redwings, Coal Tit, Nuthatch, ad.Lesser Black-backed Gull (DKC).
- MARSH TIT and 2 Bullfinches in Banstead Woods (IJ).
- MARSH TIT, 2 Bullfinches, 7 Lesser Redpolls, 5 Yellowhammers, 2 Kestrels, 50 Chaffinches, 30 Fieldfares, 25 Redwings (PGo)
- 2.00pm-4.20pm: Little Owl, 2 Mistle Thrushes, Bullfinch (Canons Farmhouse), 3 Lesser Redpolls, Kestrel, 20+ Fieldfares, c.5 Redwings, 7 Rose-ringed Parakeets, Green Woodpecker (DKC).
- 9.35am-12.30pm: MARSH TIT still in Banstead Woods at SE corner at The Scrub where also several Bullfinches (IJ).
- 5 WAXWINGS flew north (MS).
- 7.56am-10.52am: 3 Northern Lapwings flew NW at 9.33am, Common Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Mistle Thrush, 3+ Skylarks, Meadow Pipit, 2 Yellowhammers, c.70 Fieldfares, c.20 Redwings, 10+ Common Gulls, 2 Coal Tits, Goldcrest, 3 Nuthatches, 2 male Pheasants, 2 Pied Wagtails, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, 5+ Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC).
- 8.23am-4.51pm: GOLDEN PLOVER over Quail Field at 9.50am then flew north, MARSH TIT in Banstead Woods at The Scrub at SE end, c.4 Yellowhammers, Sparrowhawk, Common Buzzard, c.40 Lesser Redpolls, Grey Heron*, 8+ Skylarks, Rook, 2 ad.Lesser Black-backed Gulls, c.30 Fieldfares, 5+ Redwings, 7+ Bullfinches, 3 Mistle Thrushes, Meadow Pipit, Linnet, 3+ Greenfinches, Coal Tit, 4 Treecreepers, c.4 Goldcrests, 4 Nuthatches, 3 Green Woodpeckers, 2+ Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 2+ Pied Wagtails, 6 male Pheasants, 5 Stock Doves, c.10 Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC/RDW et al).
- 2.30pm-4.18pm: Common Buzzard, Little Owl, 2 Bullfinches, Lesser Redpoll, c.5 Redwings, 10+ Fieldfares, 1+ Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, 2+ Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC).
- 8.40am-10.50am cont. 1.15pm-4.18pm: Meadow Pipit, Common Buzzard, 20+ Lesser Redpolls, 2 Rooks, 1+ Bullfinch, 70+ Fieldfares, 10+ Redwings, Treecreeper, 3 Coal Tits, 3 Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Green Woodpecker, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 1+ fem Pheasant, 15+ Goldfinches, several Common and Black-headed Gulls (DKC).
- 8.50am-12.00pm: 3 REED BUNTINGS at derelict barn, MARSH TIT in Banstead Woods at TQ 265 577, Common Buzzard, Pied Wagtail, Kestrel, 40+ Fieldfares, 3+ Redwings, handful of Lesser Redpolls, 2 Goldcrests, 3 Bullfinches, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Song Thrush, 10+ Long-tailed Tits, Rose-ringed Parakeet, 4 Jays, Goldfinch (IJ).
- 9.23am-4.40pm: 23 Lapwings flew SW (9 at 11.43am, 14 at 1.04pm), large pale Redpoll (definitely not a Lesser, probably 'just' a classic adult Mealy - still a very good patch bird - but it was a very pale specimen) with 100-150 Lesser Redpolls at Lunch Wood, Meadow Pipit, 1+ Common Buzzard, 3+ Bullfinches (inc.1+ at Canons Farm) 1+ Linnet, 1+ Sparrowhawk, 2+ Skylarks, 2+ Yellowhammers, 3 Treecreepers, 5+ Goldcrests, 3 Nuthatches, 2+ Kestrels, 2 Green Woodpeckers, Pied Wagtail, 5-10 Greenfinches, 5-10 Goldfinches, 5-10 Rose-ringed Parakeets (DKC).
- Little Owl, Yellowhammer, Common Buzzard (PGo).
- 8.40am-11.45am (Banstead Woods): 50+ Lesser Redpolls, 3+ Redwings, 4 Bullfinches, 4 Treecreepers, Fieldfare, Goldfinch, Black-headed Gull, 2 Goldcrests, 4+ Nuthatches, 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 3+ Jays, Song Thrush, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Carrion Crow, Woodpigeon, Dunnock, Robin, Chaffinch, Magpie, Wren, House Sparrow, Blackbird (IJ).
- 9.30am-11.26am (Canons Farm): very little noted in heavy fog and cold weather conditions (DKC/PW).
- 9.27am-2.59pm: Northern Lapwing at 10.44am flew SW and possibly landed in field, Common Buzzard, Little Owl, Coal Tit, 3 Yellowhammers, Skylark, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Bullfinch, 20+ Fieldfares, male Kestrel (DKC).
- 10.57am-3.40pm: Northern Lapwing, Grey Heron, Common Buzzard, Little Owl, 10+ Yellowhammers, c.30 Fieldfares, 4+ Redwings, Greenfinch, Great Spotted Woodpecker, c.20 Rose-ringed Parakeets, 2 Stock Doves, male Kestrel (DKC).